Import regulations and procedures for used cars in Uganda
Ports of Delivery for Uganda
CarUsed.jp is your one-stop car export company. If you plan to import used cars in Uganda, all you need to do is choose a vehicle and complete our purchase process. Because we understand that buying a used car online is already a daunting experience, we deliver your pre-purchased vehicle in strategically-located ports so you can pick up your car, minus the stress and frustration.
Since Uganda doesn’t have a port of its own, we deliver vehicles to its neighboring countries. Once your make a purchase, you can pick up the vehicle at any of the following areas:
- Dar Es Salaam (Tanzania)
- Mombasa (Kenya)
Car Import Regulations in Uganda
Just like other countries, Uganda also implements a specific set of car import rules and regulations. Also, since Uganda doesn’t have its own port, you must proactively learn how to pick up an imported vehicle in Mombasa or Dar Es Salaam.
Below are some of the important guidelines you need to follow as you import used cars in Uganda:
In Uganda, there is no age restriction on the import of used vehicles.
Car Import Taxation and Charges in Uganda
The custom duty value of imported cars in Uganda is calculated using the General Agreement on Trade and Tariffs (G.A.T.T) valuation method. As a guide, information on the taxation or tariff on importing used vehicles in Uganda is as follows:
- Import Duty: 15% of dutiable value
- VAT: 17% of VAT value
- Import Commission: 2% of Dutiable Value
- Withholding Tax: 4% of Dutiable Value
- Excise Duty: 10% in selected areas
Car Inspection in Uganda
Right-hand drive and left-hand drive vehicles can be imported in Uganda.
The Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS) has appointed JEVIC to conduct a compulsory inspection "Road Worthiness Inspection (RWI)" for used cars before importation. Vehicles that do not pass the test cannot be imported to Uganda.
- Original Bills of Lading (2)
- Work permit (Copy only)
- Immigration permit (Original copy)
- Certificate of change of residence
- "Attestation reservation de cale"
- Consignee's passport (Original copy)
- Invoice for the vehicle
- Original logbook of the vehicle
- Original export documents from the country of origin
- English copy of the car inventory in triplicate (Valued, signed and dated by the customer)
- Electrically-powered items must include serial numbers
- Tax identification number: Issued by the consignee’s local employer in Uganda